Sunday 25 August 2019

Moths, bugs, spiders and beetles!

This morning in my moth trap I had some new species which is always good plus some old friends I haven't seen for a couple of years.
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Large Yellow Underwing c20
Copper Underwing sp. c10
Dun Bar 1
Orange Swift 1 (new!)
Old Lady 1
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 1
Rustic (?) very faded
Mint Moth 1
Flounced Rustic 1 (new!)
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 1
Mompha langiella (new!)
Light Brown Apple Moth
Dun Bar

Flounced Rustic

Mompha langiella

Old Lady

Orange Swift

Big surprise was a Sexton Beetle - my first for the patch. They feed and breed in corpses and can apparently smell rotting flesh from 2 miles away!

There were about 50 Birch Shieldbugs, one of which I accidentally stepped on in bare feet and it bit me really hard - quite painful! Also 50 Harlequin Ladybird and a Common Froghopper in the trap.

Last night there was a cute spider in the kitchen - Pseudeuophrys lanigera - one of the jumping spiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment