Wednesday 4 June 2014

Nesting Blackcaps

At the station this morning I saw a rather agitated male Blackcap carrying a beakful of food, suggesting a nest very near. It was at the Cromwell Road end of the footbridge - I didn't hang about as my presence was obviously disturbing him. I haven't heard many Blackcaps locally on the patch so it's good to know they are quietly getting on with nesting.

Yesterday on the station there were a couple of Tree Bumble Bees and a Common Wasp. There had also been a singing Blackbird at the station which I recognised as the one that sings in the garden. I know this because of the 6-note sequence it uses. Individual Blackbirds have recognisable songs, often employing unique phrases, and I'm sure this was 'my' bird. Geographically the station and the garden are not far apart but it gives an idea of the territory size.

No comments:

Post a Comment