Wednesday 3 July 2019

Vanishing Fox!

This morning at the station a Fox stepped out onto the railway line after the Severn Beach-bound train passed but saw me and disappeared just as I pressed my camera shutter and I only captured its tail! Very frustrating. Two distant Swifts were flying towards Cheltenham Road arches, seen through binoculars. A Ladybird is puzzling me - is it a 14 or 22 spot ladybird? Can't make up my mind. It was on foliage along the station approach. In the as yet uncut verge at Station Road a very small hoverfly which I assume to be a Eupeodes species although the ones I normally see are usually much bigger (they vary in size though). Update: Hoverfly identified as Eupeodes corollae.

Back end of a Fox!

Ladybird

Eupeodes

This evening checked out a very overgrown grassy patch at Portland Square where there was some Selfheal, Herb Robert and Broad-leaved Willowherb in flower.
Broad-leaved Willowherb

Herb Robert

Selfheal

Last night I put the moth trap out and this morning there were a few interesting moths including 3 or 4 Dark Arches, a Clay, a few Heart and Dart, a Riband Wave, a presumed Rustic, a Common Marbled Carpet and the micro-moth Cydia pomonella. There was also a Caddisfly in the trap but I'm absolutely nowhere any water!
Caddisfly

Clay

Common Marbled Carpet

Cydia pomonella

Dark Arches

Rustic

Riband Wave

No comments:

Post a Comment