Wednesday 6 June 2012

Hot Dunnock action!

As I wandered down Picton Street this evening, I glanced down the little lane next to Richard's shop and noticed 2 Dunnocks on the path. I'm pretty sure I witnessed the male pecking at the female's cloaca to remove a rival male's sperm prior to copulating, but this was taking a while and I didn't see them copulate. While this was happening, the presumed female's wings were quivering and her tail was raised. The sex-life of Dunnocks is well-known - just google it and you'll know what I'm on about!

'My' Blue Tits seem to be still feeding young - both adults visiting the nest box this evening.

Nothing much new at the station this morning although a Marmalade Hoverfly was seen despite the cool overcast weather - this insect seems to tolerate cool temperatures more than other hoverflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment