Sunday 26 March 2017

Brimstones!

A couple of Brimstone butterflies patrolling the disused platform at the station this afternoon - always a special moment when I see these harbingers of spring out and about. Also a Harlequin Ladybird nearby.
Harlequin Ladybird

In St Andrews Park this morning there were a couple of Goldcrests, a Mistle Thrush, lots of Goldfinches and a Greenfinch among the usual stuff. Insect-wise there were a few hoverflies near the pond including one of my favourites (and one I don't see that often) - Epistrophe eligans. This is very much a spring species so great to catch up with one. Also a Meliscaeva auricollis and a couple of Marmalade Hoverflies. I was also thrilled to see a glimpse of what was almost certainly a Tawny Mining Bee but it flew off before I could take a shot. Also a Green Shieldbug basking nearby.
Epistrophe eligans

Green Shieldbug

Meliscaeva auricollis

No comments:

Post a Comment