Sunday 22 March 2020

Brimstone!

I visited the station at lunchtime to see if there were any Brimstone butterflies on the wing as that's usually the most reliable spot to see them and sure enough I was not disappointed - one male was patrolling the length of the disused platform. It's always a joy to see the first of the spring. As I watched it my attention was drawn to some movement in the scrub and a Chiffchaff was feeding in the lower branches of some young Ash trees. A couple of Goldfinches, a Blackbird and plenty of House Sparrows were feeding nearby.

At St Andrews Park near the pond there were a couple of hoverflies, an Eristalis pertinax and a Platycheirus albimanus. A Small White butterfly was flitting among the Kingcups. I noticed a tiny insect in the meadow which turned out to be a Tortoise Beetle - the first I've ever seen on the patch I think. Back in Montpelier, at Fairlawn Road there were half a dozen Green Shieldbugs and several Honeybees.
Tortoise Beetle

Honey Bee

Green Shieldbug

Eristalis pertinax

Small White

Platycheirus albimanus












1 comment: