Monday 30 March 2020

Two bees or not two bees?

There were two close encounters with bees this morning. A queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee which I found in the flat was looking very groggy so I gave her sugared water before letting her go in the garden.
Buff-tailed Bumblebee
Later, during my morning exercise walk, I spotted a mining bee sitting on a wall at the station. I narrowed it down to about 3 species before referring it to the experts on Facebook. It turned out to be a Chocolate Mining Bee Andrena scotica. I think it was trying to sit out the low temperatures and hopefully will respond when it gets warmer. Nearby was a probable White-lipped Snail (I didn't want to disturb it to make a definite identification). A Collared Dove was singing too.
Andrena scotica

White-lipped Snail

Collared Dove

From my flat window I can see a pair of Woodpigeons building a nest in next-door's shrub.

While queuing up to get a prescription at Bath Buildings this morning a single Jackdaw flew over calling. There were a couple of Carrion Crows building a nest just behind the health centre.


Nest-building Carrion Crows

A very flighty Chiffchaff was singing in Montpelier Park.


1 comment: