Sunday 19 July 2015

Narroways

Now before I visited Narroways this morning I nearly posted on the FB page that I wanted to find the hoverfly Chrysotoxum festivum on the reserve. I'd seen my first ever only on Friday in North Somerset, but the BRERC map shows this species to only be recorded away from urban sites - the nearest sightings are in Kingswood and Filton. Imagine my delight when I found one of these handsome animals on the hill!
Chrysotoxum festivum



 
Also on the hoverfly front several Myathropa florea - lots near the brook, perched on the wooden bridge. As they have aquatic larvae I'm assuming they breed in the brook. Xylota segnis in scrub near the Ashley Hill end of the stony path.

Butterflies: 1 Common Blue, c30 Meadow Brown, 1 Marbled White, 10 Gatekeeper, 1 Red Admiral (stony path), 1 Speckled Wood (same place), 5 Small/Essex Skipper. Couldn't find any definite Ringlets, oddly enough.
Gatekeeper

Speckled Wood


The only birds of note were Goldcrest at the brook (found by Guy Watson who I bumped into) a couple of Swifts, Goldfinches and Greenfinches over the cutting.

Lots of Thick-thighed Flower-beetles and Soldier Beetles.

Bees were mainly Red-tailed Bumblebees with several Buff-tailed/White-tailed Bumblebees. 2 Leaf-cutter Bees and an Andrena sp. mining bee I couldn't get a photo of.

A Common Darter dragonfly buzzing round the scrubby area at stony path/cutting. A couple of Long-horned Moths on cutting.

Two Tachinid flies - Eriothrix rufomaculata and another, Phania funesta.

Eriothrix rufomaculata

Phania funesta.


A tiny Mirid bug on a bindweed flower might well be Plagiognathus arbustorum - very common apparently.

Mirid bug
Back in Montpelier, a Harlequin Ladybird and some Vervain in flower at Fairlawn Road. An Opium Poppy growing out of the pavement in Richmond Road.

Vervain

Opium Poppy
St Andrews Park was not particularly productive, just another Eriothrix rufomaculata of note.

In the flat this morning was a Lesser Yellow Underwing moth.

Lesser Yellow Underwing
Yesterday I found some just-hatched moth larvae on the bedroom wall!
Moth larvae in the bedroom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment